Yard Jockeys with CDL
East Penn is proud to have been selected for 14 years as one of the “Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania” by the PA Department of Community and Economic Development, Team Pennsylvania Foundation, The Central Pennsylvania Business Journal and the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business & Industry.
SCHEDULE VARIES DEPENDING ON RUN
JOB SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License with Endorsements for Air Brakes and Hazmat.
- Literate with good communication and math skills.
- Driving a diesel or gasoline powered straight van with a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 33,000 pounds.
- Taking trips that may range from, 1 day to 5 days in length.
- Delivering and picking up freight from specified locations, such as warehouses, stores, industrial plants, railroad yards, shipping piers and small businesses.
- Verifying actual shipments against shipping documentation.
- Driving to specified locations, applying knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations state and local driving laws, hazardous materials regulations, and highway navigation, and skill in maneuvering a vehicle in various situations, such as narrow passageways, heavy traffic, and adverse weather conditions.
- Inspecting the vehicle for mechanical and safety defects before and after each trip, and submit a report indicating the vehicle condition.
- Maintaining a Driver’s Daily log according to Federal regulations.
- Preparing shipping papers for freight received.
- Interacting with customers when delivering or receiving freight or collecting payment for goods delivered.
- Calculating payment due for goods delivered or credit due for goods returned.
- Maintaining telephone or radio contact with dispatcher to receive instructions.
- Assisting in loading or unloading with a pallet truck or forklift as appropriate.
- Placing deliveries at the delivery site according to the customer instructions, including rotation of stock.
- Performing emergency roadside repairs such as changing tires, installing light bulbs, fuses or tire chains.