Over-The-Road Truck Drivers
SCHEDULE VARIES DEPENDING ON RUN
JOB SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Class “A” Commercial Drivers License with Hazardous Materials Endorsement .
- Literate with good communication and math skills.
- Driving diesel powered tractor-trailer combination with a gross vehicle weight of up to 80,000 pounds or smaller vehicle when required.
- Taking trips that may range from 1 day to 5 days in length or longer.
- Delivering and picking up freight from specified locations, such as warehouses, stores, industrial plants, railroad yards, shipping piers, and small business.
- Verifying actual shipments against shipping documentation.
- Driving to specified locations, applying knowledge of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, state, and local driving laws, hazardous material regulations, and highway navigation, and skill in maneuvering vehicle in various situations, such as narrow passageways, heavy traffic, and adverse weather conditions.
- Inspecting the vehicle for mechanical and safety defects before and after each trip, and submitting a report indicating the vehicle’s condition.
- Maintaining a driver’s daily log according to Federal regulations.
- Preparing shipping documents for freight received.
- Interacting with customers when delivering or receiving freight or collecting payment for goods delivered.
- Maintaining telephone or radio contact with dispatchers to receive instructions.
- Assisting in loading or unloading with a pallet truck, forklift, or manually as appropriate.
- Placing deliveries at the delivery site according to the customer’s instructions, including rotation of stock.
- Performing emergency roadside repairs, such as changing tires, installing light bulbs, fuses, or tire chains.