Yard Jockeys with CDL
SCHEDULE VARIES DEPENDING ON RUN
JOB SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License with Endorsements for Air Brakes and Hazmat.
- Literate with good communication and math skills.
- Driving a diesel or gasoline powered straight van with a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 33,000 pounds.
- Taking trips that may range from, 1 day to 5 days in length.
- Delivering and picking up freight from specified locations, such as warehouses, stores, industrial plants, railroad yards, shipping piers and small businesses.
- Verifying actual shipments against shipping documentation.
- Driving to specified locations, applying knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations state and local driving laws, hazardous materials regulations, and highway navigation, and skill in maneuvering a vehicle in various situations, such as narrow passageways, heavy traffic, and adverse weather conditions.
- Inspecting the vehicle for mechanical and safety defects before and after each trip, and submit a report indicating the vehicle condition.
- Maintaining a Driver’s Daily log according to Federal regulations.
- Preparing shipping papers for freight received.
- Interacting with customers when delivering or receiving freight or collecting payment for goods delivered.
- Calculating payment due for goods delivered or credit due for goods returned.
- Maintaining telephone or radio contact with dispatcher to receive instructions.
- Assisting in loading or unloading with a pallet truck or forklift as appropriate.
- Placing deliveries at the delivery site according to the customer instructions, including rotation of stock.
- Performing emergency roadside repairs such as changing tires, installing light bulbs, fuses or tire chains.